jaymacave
Monday, December 12, 2005
Let's talk faith/religion, shall we?
If you have ever read my blog, you already know that I really struggle with this topic. I am not even sure if I truly believe in God or if I just would like to believe that "he" exists. Yes, I know how incredibly blessed I am. I have three wonderful, healthy children, a great marriage, and so much more. I am not discounting that fact. I just wonder how people can maintain a strong sense of faith with such horrific things happening to good people around them.

My husband was raised in the church. So much so, that getting him to step foot in one now is alot like pulling teeth. Because, you see, he can "talk to God from his living room." Myself, I could probably count on both hands the times I have been in a church and the majority of those times have been funerals or weddings.

So, I struggle because I wonder if I am doing my children a disservice by not educating them on the bible and such. Not one of them has been baptised, confirmed or what-have-you, much to the dismay of several elder family members. I just honestly feel like maybe my husband and I, as parents should install the basic elements. Then, they can make the decision later if it is something they want to persue. At the beginning of the school year, Jaycie brought home a permission slip for a program they call "religious release." The kids who sign up walk a block to a nearby church one day a week for an hour and are schooled on the Bible. We went back and forth on whether or not to sign her up and ended up doing it. She really enjoys it, so I continue allowing her to participate. A couple months ago, she was telling her little sister about how three men were thrown in a furnace to burn to death because they wouldn't worship some material idol. But that they were saved because they followed "God's word." I kid you not, I know maybe three bible stories. And, no that isn't one that I had ever heard before. Ever fiber of my being wanted to rip her out of that program so fast it would make heads spin. Instead, I went to the bookstore in the mall and purchased a children's bible. I figured we could read a chapter every night before bed. It might be beneficial to me as well. Well, I only lasted about two chapters. Is it just me, or does there seem to be a constant theme in bible stories? Violence. I really don't want to read about murder, getting eaten by lions, etc. to my 6 year old before bed. Maybe I just picked the wrong book? Who knows. I guess I thought bible stories would have more content about good deeds and faith towards fellow man. *sigh*

Tonight, my friend came to pick up her daughter and was telling me the latest saga of her life. This friend is Catholic. Now, I know several catholics and they are very lovely people. So, this post is in no means intended to be derrogatory toward them or their faith. That being said, this friend happens to be pro-choice, is currently seperated from her husband and seeking a divorce. She is living with her current boyfriend. He (isn't very religious) wants to get married but doesn't want to go through the whole process of being confirmed, yadda yadda. She, on the other hand, plain refuses to marry anywhere other than the catholic church because "her faith is a big part of who she is and she just won't compromise." Ok, this is where my problem lies. See, with me it has to be all or nothing. I don't attend church because I am not sure what or how I believe. She, is Catholic, but is divorcing, is pro-choice, using birth control, and having pre marital sex. How is this possible? Does it have to be all or nothing for you to truly be of that faith? Is she a hypocrite? I don't know. See, if I were to choose a denomination, it for sure would not be Catholicism because I am also pro-choice. I believe in birth control. I think many couples are too quick to divorce, but it surely is warranted in some instances. I am so lost when it comes to this. I hope someone can give me some insight. So, what are your thoughts?
1 Comments:
Blogger Dana said...
Ahhh, the story you are referring to is about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.

I just did a quick search for it... you can read about it here: http://www.funpagesforkids.com/sma/daniel3.htm

Yeah, I agree, a lot of the stories are pretty violent, but not all of them are. It was a MUCH different time back then. We're talking thousands of years ago.

It's sad but Christians have faced persecution over and over and over for doing nothing more than believing in God. For refusing to worship other (false) gods. Heck, it's the first commandment. "I AM THE LORD THY GOD, THOU SHALT NOT HAVE strange gods BEFORE ME."

With that said, I can understand your concerns about reading these types of stories to your children. Every time I read the story of Abraham and Isaac, I just wait for them to ask me about it. : \

Sometimes it's hard to read but I read it and continue to read it to my children because I believe it's the true word of God. Life wasn't pretty back then. Heck, life isn't pretty today. : \

There are many, many nice stories to read the kiddos. The story of Joseph, (Genesis 37:12-36) Ruth (one of my faves!) (Ruth 1,2) David and Goliath, (1 Samuel 17)Jesus feeds 5000, (John 6:1-14) Good Samaritain, (Luke 10:25-37) etc. etc. We have several books we read to the kids regularly if you'd like, I'd be more than happy to give you the titles.

As far as your friend... Well, I won't pretend to understand her thoughts or how she justifys what she does. As a Catholic, I can say what you already know, that she is not practicing what her faith teaches her to do. However, I'll bet very few Catholics or any other Christians do. Hence, the reason we need Jesus. ; )

I don't think it's necessairly an all or nothing thing. I think it's more you truly do your BEST to do what God asks you to do. And that you ask for his forgiveness when you fail.

I don't think any one religion is perfect. We are practicing Catholics, but we are seriously considering leaving the church. Why? Not becuase we think Catholics are "bad," or becuase we think they are wrong, but because we have enough "issues" with various things that they teach that we feel we may find a better fit for us elsewhere. It's just us and what we feel we are getting out of the church.

I do think there are things that ALL Christians should follow. There are certain things that just can't be "ignored" simply because we don't like them or don't want to do them. However, I think most answers can be found in the Bible.
If a church is teaching things that aren't in the Bible than I'm not so sure they should be teaching them. If they were truly important to God, than they would be in the Bible. :) JMO!

In any case, I've gone on long enough. If you want to chat about it anymore, you know where to find me. : )