jaymacave
Sunday, July 31, 2005
"An agricultural life is one eminently calculated for human happiness and human virtue." -Josiah Quincy
I read something recently that struck something in me. It was not a comment that I haven't heard several times before, but one that I wish I would never have to hear again. It made me feel that there are many people around me who do not realize how very important America's agriculture is. The ignorance of some just saddens me a great deal. Yes, I may be biased (just a bit), but I truly believe there are not many better people out there than farmers. I did not grow up on a farm, but I would absolutely not trade my life for anything. The farm people I have had the pleasure of meeting and being involved with are by far the most hard-working, generous, selfless people I know. There is not another group of people anywhere who works as hard as they do for much less than most.

Today has been rather uneventful. This morning my husband came in from his morning chores and he and the girls and I just snuggled in bed like we do every weekend. We got up and had breakfast, I did some laundry, took a shower, got the girls dressed and ready for the day. Then, after a bit we walked to the barn and the girls and I helped C.K. feed calves and grain the show cows. As I was watching my children play with the calves, it became so clear to me (as it has many times in the past) that there could not possibly be a better life for them. The experiences and lessons that they have learned and will continue to learn as they grow up around agriculture are priceless and so very important. I very much want to make sure they know how lucky they are and not to take a minute of it for granted. In their short lives they have already witnessed the miracle of life, and the reality of death. They know by watching their father the value of hard work, determination, and dedication. They understand that even though you may work 24 hours a day, seven days a week, you may not have the money and material belongings others have from working just as much. Yet, they know that is ok, because what you take away from it is worth so much more than anything you can put in your bank account. Farmers don't farm because it is a prestigious living, they do it because they love it and take great pride in what they are producing.

This afternoon, we visited the local farm market and it made me smile to see so many out-of-towners there. It gave me faith to know that America's farmers and agriculture are not taken for granted by everyone. Not everyone believes that just because there isn't a sign out front with the word "organic," the products must be chock full of hormones, pesticides, and meds. *SIGH* So, tonight the girls and I are going to make some wonderful treats with the bushel of peaches I bought and I will know that when we are getting good and messy that we are enjoying the fruits of someone else's labor. :)
3 Comments:
Blogger Dana said...
It's funny, because Phil and I were just talking about this the other day. I was saying it's so sad that farmers get paid so little for how hard they work. You are right though, farmers are really awesome people. Ever since moving to "the country" we have realized how blessed we are to be here. I just love it. Although, I will never be a farmer, I can't wait to move to our house, start that big garden of mine and maybe even head on down to the local farmers market myself. ; )

Blogger Kendra said...
Oh Heather, I don't think that I've ever stopped to think of how hard someone has worked to get food on my table. I truly look up to you and your family for all the sacrifices that you make! What an amazing line of work you're in!

Blogger Melissa said...
I hope that my boys can get just a little glimpse of the life your family gets. That's one of the reasons we moved out here. I really want to get them involved in 4-H in a few years- I can't wait to learn all about it alongside of them. I love getting our eggs from our neighbor, our produce from an amish family down the street, and our meat fresh from the local butcher. (haven't found anyone with real milk, yet- but there's tons of cows out here so it's gotta be somewhere!)
Even though we'll never be farmers, we hope to get some sort of a little working farmette going on here- we have to put our barn to good use somehow! lol